Hastings' Dictionary of the Bible 
Adaiah (‘Jehovah has adorned’). 1 . The maternal grandfather of Josiah, 2 Kings 22:1 . 2 Kings 22:2 . A Levite, 1 Chronicles 6:41 , called Iddo in 1 Chronicles 6:21 . 1 Chronicles 6:3 . A son of Shimei (in v. 13 Shema ) the Benjamite, 1 Chronicles 8:21 . 1 Chronicles 8:4 . The son of Jeroham, a priest, and head of a family in Jerusalem, 1 Chronicles 9:12 . 1 Chronicles 9:5 . The father of Maaseiah, a captain who helped to overthrow the usurpation of Athaliah, 2 Chronicles 23:1 . 2 Chronicles 23:6 . One of the family of Bani, who took a strange wife during the Exile, Ezra 10:29 . Ezra 10:7 . Another of a different family of Bani, who had committed the same offence, Ezra 10:39 . Ezra 10:8 . A descendant of Judah by Pharez, Nehemiah 11:5 . Nehemiah 11:9 . A Levite of the family of Aaron, Nehemiah 11:12; probably the same as No. 4.
Smith's Bible Dictionary 
Ada'iah. (Adorned By Jehovah).
1. Maternal grandfather of King Josiah, and native of Boscath in the Shefelah , or lowlands of Judah. 2 Kings 22:1. (B.C. 648).
2. A Levite of the Gershonite branch, and ancestor of Asaph. 1 Chronicles 6:41. In 1 Chronicles 6:21. Heb Isa called Iddo .
3. A Benjamite, son of Shimhi, 1 Chronicles 8:21, who is apparently the same as Shema in 1 Chronicles 8:13.
4. A priest, son of Jehoram. 1 Chronicles 9:12; Nehemiah 11:12.
5. Ancestor of Maaseiah, one of the captains who supported Jehoiada. 2 Chronicles 23:1.
6. One of the descendants of Bani, who had married a foreign wife after the return from Babylon. Ezra 10:29. (B.C. 459).
7. The descendant of another Bani, who had also taken a foreign wife. Ezra 10:39.
8. A man of Judah, of the line of Pharez. Nehemiah 11:5.
Morrish Bible Dictionary 
1. Father of Jedidah and grandfather of Josiah, king of Judah. 2 Kings 22:1 .
2. Son of Ethan, a Gershonite. 1 Chronicles 4:41 .
3. One of the sons of Shimhi. 1 Chronicles 8:21 .
4. Son of Jeroham. 1 Chronicles 9:12 .
5. Father of Maaseiah a "captain of hundreds." 2 Chronicles 23:1 .
6,7. Two who had married strange wives. Ezra 10:29,39 .
8. One whose descendants returned from exile and dwelt in Jerusalem. Nehemiah 11:5 .
9. One who returned from exile, and did the work of the house of the Lord. Nehemiah 11:12 .
Holman Bible Dictionary 
2 Kings 22:1 2 1 Chronicles 6:41 3 1 Chronicles 8:21 4 1 Chronicles 9:12 5 2 Chronicles 23:1 6 Ezra 10:29 Ezra 10:39 7 Nehemiah 11:5 8 Nehemiah 11:12
Fausset's Bible Dictionary 
1. 2 Kings 22:1.
2. 1 Chronicles 6:41.
3. 1 Chronicles 8:21.
4. 1 Chronicles 9:12; Nehemiah 11:12.
5. Ezra 10:29.
6. Ezra 10:39; Nehemiah 11:5. Adalia. Esther 9:8.
Cyclopedia of Biblical, Theological and Ecclesiastical Literature 
(Heb. Adayah', עֲדָיָה , Adorned by Jehovah, once in the prolonged form Adaya'hu, עֲדָיָהוּ . 2 Chronicles 23:1), the name of several men.
1. (Sept. Ἀδαϊ v Α v. r. Ἀδαϊ v ) The son of Ethni and father of Zerah. of the Levitical family of Gershom, in the ancestry of Asaph ( 1 Chronicles 6:40); apparently the same with IDDO (See Iddo) , the son of Joah (ver. 21). B.C. cir. 1530. (See Asaph).
2. (Sept. Ἀδαϊ v Α v. r. Ἀλαϊ v Α . ) A son of Shimhi, and chief Benjamite resident at Jerusalem before the captivity ( 1 Chronicles 8:21), B.C. long post 1612.
3. (Sept. Ἀδαϊ v Α , v. r. Ἀδαϊ v .) The father of Maaseiah, which latter was a
"captain of hundred" during the protectorate of Jehoiada ( 2 Chronicles 23:1). B.C. ante 877. He is apparently the same as JUDA (See Juda) the son of Joseph and father of Simeon, among Christ's maternal ancestry ( Luke 3:30). (See Genealogy).
4. (Sept. Ε᾿Δεϊά v. r. Ι᾿Εδία .) The father of Jedidah and maternal grandfather of King Josiah, a native of Boscath ( 2 Kings 22:1). B.C. ante 648.
5. (Sept. Ἀδαϊ v Α v. r. Ἀχαϊ v Α . ) A son of Joiarib and father of Hazaiah, of the tribe of Judah ( Nehemiah 11:5). B.C. considerably ante 536.
6. A priest, son of Jeroham, who held a prominent post in defending the second temple while building ( 1 Chronicles 9:12, Sept. Σαδία v. r. Ἀδαϊ v Α; Nehemiah 11:12, Ἀδαϊ v Α ) , B.C. 518.
7. (Sept. Ἀδαϊ v Α .) A "son" of Bani, an Israelite who divorced his Gentile wife after the captivity ( Ezra 10:29), B.C. 459.
8. (Sept. Ἀδαϊ v Ας v. r. Ἀδαϊ v Α . ) Another of the "sons" of Bani, who did likewise ( Ezra 10:39), B.C. 459.
International Standard Bible Encyclopedia 
a - dā´ya , a - dı̄´a ( עדיה , ‛ădhāyāh , "Yahweh hath adorned"):
(1) Apparently the seventh of the nine sons of Shimei, who is apparently the same with Shema, who is the fifth of the sons of Elpaal, who is the second of the two sons of Shaharaim and Hushim ( 1 Chronicles 8:21 ). Shaharaim and his descendants are listed with the descendants of Benjamin, though his relations to Benjamin are not stated.
(2) A L evite; ancestor to David's singer Asaph, and a descendant of the fifth generation from Gershom ( 1 Chronicles 6:41 ).
(3) The father of Maaseiah, who was one of the captains of hundreds associated with Jehoiada the priest in making Joash king ( 2 Chronicles 23:1 ).
(4) A resident of Bozkath, and father of Jedidah the mother of King Josiah ( 2 Kings 22:1 ).
(5) A descendant of Judah through Perez. His great-great-grandson Maaseiah resided in Jerusalem after Nehemiah had rehabilitated the city ( Nehemiah 11:5 ).
(6) One of the men of Israel, not a priest or Levite, but "of the sons of Bani," who promised Ezra that he would part with his foreign wife ( Ezra 10:29 ).
(7) The same man or another, in a different group of the sons of Bani ( Ezra 10:39 ).
(8) One of the priests of the latest Bible times, mentioned with a partial genealogy ( Nehemiah 11:12; 1 Chronicles 9:12 ).
- ↑ Adaiah from Hastings' Dictionary of the Bible
- ↑ Adaiah from Smith's Bible Dictionary
- ↑ Adaiah from Morrish Bible Dictionary
- ↑ Adaiah from Holman Bible Dictionary
- ↑ Adaiah from Fausset's Bible Dictionary
- ↑ Adaiah from Cyclopedia of Biblical, Theological and Ecclesiastical Literature
- ↑ Adaiah from International Standard Bible Encyclopedia